viernes, 14 de junio de 2013

First kms on minimal running

And the day came to run on the Innov8's.

Love how light and flexible they feel, I'm really looking forward to adapt to this kind of shoes, as this feeling is so so great

The first strides on them really show you are running on something very very different:

The lack of drop just pushes you to land on your forefoot immediately, but after a few strides your heel, and the way you (I) have been running for years comes back again. So you have to think concentrate a little bit if you want to land the way you are supposed in this kind of shoes.

Many videos/articles claim the change in the stride is unconscious and immediate: Not for me.

The first day it was just run a little bit and walk, run, walk.... for about 20 minutes. And was just ok. The pace was very slow, so no real feedback at this point.

The second day I planned to run a little bit more on them. Theory says that to adapt to this kind of shoes you must apply the 10% rule:

Run the 10% of your distance on minimal and the rest on standard shoes. After one week, if you have no pain then increase another 10% extra.

That would imply logistics in order to carry to pair of shoes, running on a gym,....  and if there is one thing that I don't have is time to invest on logistics. So I decided to apply the "listen to your body" rule that has worked fine for me for more than 10 years as a runner.

I went to the nearest path in order to avoid tarmac, as in minimal shoes I really feel more confortable on sand than tarmac, and run for about 5km.

Have to say that I had no pain what so ever, was pretty relaxing and easy. I just logged 5km in order to be cautious, that's it. As I pointed out previously you have to concentrate in order to land on the forefoot,  but it is easy as the shoes help. The lightness push you to run faster, but I took it intentionally easy.

The day before I could feel the calves slightly "heavier" than usual (and more considering I run just 5km), meaning that some different muscles were used but honestly, no big difference to any other day.

More updates to come, stay tuned ;)



No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario